Wednesday 12 June 2013

Memories

Memory is a funny thing, isn't it? I have a terrible memory and remember very little of my childhood. I only really recall stories that have been told and retold so many times that the original event is almost meaningless, because the memory lies in the story telling.  But I do remember some really stupid stuff.

It occurred to me today that I cannot recall a single birthday party that I had as a child (unless you count being taken on a plane for the first time on my eleventh birthday, to Paris and my dad MORTIFYING me by speaking to the pilot and getting the entire plane to sing happy birthday to me. Very sweet now, but at the time ground-swallowingly MORTIFYING).

But I vividly remember the vague feeling of surprise that I felt the first time that I saw a picture of Pat Sharp after he'd had his mullet cut off.  I've looked it up. That happened in 1992, so I would have been 14.

I can't remember the names of most of my teachers, even the ones that I liked.  I can't recall the plotlines of books that I have read and sometimes get halfway through a film before faintly realising that I've already seen it.  But I remember very clearly having a dream featuring an evil cartoon milkman who was delivering poisoned milk to everyone.  It was so vivid that for years I was convinced that I'd seen it on TV, but I've never been able to find a reference to it.

I had a dog called Lizzie when I was little, right up until I was nineteen. I struggle to remember her face (mainly because I get Murdoch's furry little mooey superimposed on it whenever I try to conjure it up), or how soft to the touch her fur was.  But if I know a song, I can name it within the first few notes that I hear.

What weird memories do you have?  Or not have? Is your brain as weird as mine?

2 comments:

  1. My brain is *almost* as weird as yours, or maybe just as weird but in a different way... anyway... I can rarely remember plotlines of books I've read and have been known to get 1/4 of the way through reading one before I realised I'd read it before. And I'm with you on the song thing.

    I have a very early memory of being sat in a highchair at the table for my very first Christmas but I'm not sure that it's true or something I concocted from seeing a photo.

    Brains are funny things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the most shocking memory also, especially as I lost 8 years in the bottom of a bottle, my memories are so jumbled I can't remember if something actually happened to me or if it's something someone has told me about, I do have a lot of childhood memories but again did it actually happen, my mum says no to some things. I think I feel a blog post coming on about this subject.

    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete